Wednesday, June 1, 2016

She Done Bloomed!

Ummmm...has it really been almost a month since I blogged? Ay yi yi! Truth is, I didn't have much in the way of quilting to share, so it potentially would have been a full page of "Ummm" and "Huh" and "I don't know." Nonetheless, I've got some bidness to discuss now!

The Bloom Sew-Along is my first sew-along. While it's been rewarding, it's also been a lesson in patience. I tend to dive right into projects and go, go, go till I'm done. I finished the actual blocks for the sew-along about two weeks ahead of time and did the block and row layout in order of completion. I wasn't too sure about this approach, as I'm definitely a newb to the applique game. My fear was that it would go from disaster at block one to pretty darn good by block twenty. But, that wasn't the case. They all came out, at the very least, good!


Don't you love my design wall? It looks remarkably like one's living room floor. Upper left is the first block, and lower right is the last. Not too bad, right? After sewing together the rows, I decided on a bright border print.


So bright and cheery! I've got one quilt at the long-armer right now, and once that one is done I'll take this one in for quilting. I don't mind doing the quilting myself, but this one's a little out of my size comfort zone. Like I said, doing one block a week was a real test of my patience and made the payoff feel like it was never going to happen. But it did...in spades!

After that project, I wanted something relatively quick, so I opened up this book...


...and revisited some of the projects inside. I'd previously made a few pillows from it but never an actual quilt.


That's one of the pillow tops I made (minus the pillow form, obviously), and it's now on one of my armchairs with a coordinating one.

Tim was away this weekend, and that meant I was a pseudo-bachelor for a few days. And boy oh boy did I get wild while he was out! I quilted like a madman! Typically when I'm in a quilting zone, I go into survival mode, meaning I eat as quickly as I can so I can get back to piecing and cutting. I ate more than a few PB&J's during the weekend. With the steady chatter of Investigation Discovery playing in the background (I'm an addict), I was a workhorse! What did all that activity net me?


Sixy-four 6.5" great granny squares! I love the mango Robert Kaufman Kona Solids background color.


Those are a couple of my favorites, with fabrics from Ellis & Higgs, Lori Holt, Lecien and others I love. There's a whole lot of color in there, and I love it all.


The picture isn't the greatest quality, but I've sewn them together in quadrants and will piece them together tonight. I tossed around so many ideas on the border and, I must admit, most of them were borders that would be quick and easy. When I want it done, I want it done quickly. Ultimately I decided that I want even more colors, so I'm going to border it with scrappy four-patches. This one, I'll quilt myself; at a finished size of 56" square, it's easily manageable.

This week, I'm again linking up with Sew Fresh Quilts so check out all her quilty goodies!

9 comments:

  1. That mango fabric looks great on your granny squares. Your bloom quilt is so pretty, the border is great with your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Dan, I'm sew impressed with your bloom quilt! And I Love that mango! Makes me want to tango! NOT! I love it when I have a few days alone like that, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few days, yes! More than that...not so much. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I really like the fabrics you chose for this project. Can't wait to see the big reveal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I should have it up in a day or two :D

      Delete
  4. Love the mango backgrounds, really makes this a bit different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I do like bright colors.

      Delete
  5. The floral print border makes a delightful frame for all those beautiful flowers. You done good!!!

    ReplyDelete